Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Double Knitting Part 2

The exploration into double knitting started because of a KAL in the cwneedleworkerskal group. The project in question is "Winter cuffs in double knitting" which showed up in Godey's in 1861 and made appearances in several other publications around the same time, http://books.google.com/books?ei=LRGfSoXRLI7ayASroLDuDg&q=%22winter+cuffs+in+double+knitting%22&btnG=Search+Books. Since 19th century patterns offer no clue to what gauge the knitter should strive for I always do sample swatches. There are several ways of doing double knitting, each creating a different fabric. Since there was some debate about the various methods I decided to do a swatch of each. All were done with the same yarn, needles and number of stitches -fingering weight, size 4 (modern size) and 20 stitches.

The first was done with the method used in my original post. To my reading this the technique the writer intended. I got a soft fabric with some nice loft and a reasonable amount of stretch. This would make a cuff which would fit snugly on my wrist. But my wrists are small, most women might need to add a few stitches.
From Mostly pointless drivel
Method two has you wrap the thread twice around the needle for each knit stitch. This creates a long stitch and a looser fabric. With my tension this creates something much too open and soft for this project.
From Mostly pointless drivel

The third method is the easiest to stitch, the yarn is not flipped forwards and backwards you simply knit and slip, and knit and slip. This though produces a garter stitch fabric instead of the stockinette the first version gives. For me it also knit up a good bit tighter.
From Mostly pointless drivel
When I make my cuffs I'll use the first method as the pattern called for. And just because I like red and white I'll likely use the specified colors. First though I need to finish some projects already started. First up to focus on - my pine apple bag from  The ladies' work-table book (1845). More on pine apple bags when it's done.


From Mostly pointless drivel

No comments:

Post a Comment